A Mom-Approved Mother’s Day by Capital M Media
Like most holidays, milestones, and, well, most events in 2020, Mother’s Day is going to feel a little different this year. Sorry, dad, you can’t depend on your child’s teacher sending home the sweetest macaroni jewelry box or handprinted flower pot. But, you can count on Capital M Media to help you out with some easy gifts that are sure to make mom smile.
Every mama loves a handprint. Give her that tiny hand to keep forever with a personalized jewelry dish full of love and sentiment.
We love this craft because it’s easy to do, a fun project for the toddler/school age crowd, and something mom will use and cherish.
To make the dough:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup water (you may need less)
- Mix 2 cups of plain flour and 1 cup of salt together in a large bowl. Add 1 cup of water. Add it in slowly as you may need less. Knead the mixture into a dough.
To make the dish:
- Flatten the salt dough using a rolling pin and press your child’s hand onto it to create an imprint of their hand. The salt dough needs to be about 1cm thick. You will need to press your child’s hand into the salt dough quite firmly and press down on each finger to make a good print.
- Use a sharp knife to carefully cut around the edge of the handprint.
- Put a small oven proof bowl on a baking tray and place the salt dough handprint on top of the bowl. This will give it the curve to make the hand bowl/dish shaped.
- Bake the handprint in the oven at a low temperature (about 200 degrees) for a few hours. When you remove it from the oven check that the salt dough is completely hard on both sides, if it isn’t just put it back in the oven for a little longer.
- Paint the bowl (once cooled) using spray paint or an acrylic paint. You can add a little heart to the palm, child’s name or date, or any other special word.
If shopping online is more your speed, check out these great options that will support small businesses, ship right to your home, and make mom feel pampered and loved during these uncertain times.
- Products: Luxe Shower Caps, Satin Pillowcase, Microfiber Hair Towel, Hair Clips
- Use code kitsch4mom for 30% off
- Products: Facial Patches, Eye Gels, Rosewater Spray
- Use code M15% for 15% off
Hey Babe Cosmetics
- Products: Shimmer & Matte Palettes, Bronzed Babe, Multiple Lipsticks
- Use code HEYBABEISME for 20% off
- Products: Perk Up Dry Shampoo
- Products: Butter Chardonnay (cans and bottles)